Monday, July 12, 2010

Long Island in Bloom

Long Island has so many gorgeous flowers!
Everytime I see one that catches my eye I make sure I stop and take a picture.

Just a few for your viewing pleasure...








And there are little bunnies that just hop around and eat the sweet clovers in my uncle's backyard.
  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Volunteer Fire Department



New York (and many other places) have volunteer firemen. When they get a call, a big and loud siren goes off that can be heard throughout the town and the volunteers come, suit up and go fight fires!


We were there hanging out while my parents talked to one of their friends at the firehouse and i'm walking around taking pictures (of course) and all of a sudden the loud siren and alarms go off. I jumped (actually jumped) screamed and ran to my mom's side like I was five years old.
Throughout the next few minutes some guys came in, suited up and left. It was very cool to see. Some jobs even let their empoyees leave if they are a volunteer firefighter and hear the siren.



It was very exciting to see.
They also had a really nice memorial in front of the firehouse.
Inside a glass window in the center it had a constantly buring flame.
It was pretty awesome.


More posts to come about other vacation stuff soon.
We're off to the city tomorrow!
Stay tuned!

1 comment:

*Becky* said...

that is cool that a huge siren goes off and the volunteers can drop everything and go. Oh and those flowers are super pretty