Sunday, January 3, 2010

Folding Like Nobody's Business! (And recipe!)

One of the coolest things Josh and I each got for christmas are these calendars.

and

Each day we grab our calendars, sit down and fold-it-up! It's so much fun!
So far I have made a Nightingale and a dog's head.
We love it!

Recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup*
Be aware that I rarely ever exactly follow a recipe. I pretty much use the recipe to get ideas of what ingredients should be added and then I mix it up and make my own changes.

Here's the jist...
You will need:
shredded chicken ( I like to buy one of the whole roasted chickens and then just use all the meat so I dont have to cook the chicken and then wait for it to cool before shredding it, to me, it's less work.)
reduced sodium chicken broth (one really big can and one or two small cans)
one large can diced tomatoes (but I only ended up using 3/4 of it)
two jalapenos (you can leave in or take out the seeds depending on how hot you want the soup)
one small onion
vegetable oil
garlic
some cilantro
one can of rinsed black beans
one can of kernal corn
cumin, salt, pepper
shredded cheese
avocado
tortilla strips, a squeeze of lime and sour cream to put on top

Sautee the onion in about 2 tbsp of oil. when they are soft add the jalapeno (diced up) and garlic.
Add the broth, beans, corn and tomatoes and let it come to a boil.
Throw in your shredded chicken and any other spices you want.
The longer you let it cook the better the flavors get.
Use the other things as garnish on top :)
Mmmm tasty! Enjoy!

*I took this recipe from Danial Boone on the food network, it is really his and I just sometimes mix up what I want in it and how I make it.

No comments: